Truly Complete

 

SAM_2929

Mike came by today to tie his tzitzit and pick up his tallit.  I had set up the tallit on my dressmaking form so Mike could see it as soon as he came into my apartment. It’s always good to see a client completely happy.

When I first started making tallitot I used to tie the tzitzit myself.Over the years I have gone from tying the tzitzit myself, to offering to tie tzitzit with my clients to just insisting that my clients tie the tzitzit.

 

Having my clients tie the tzitzit accomplishes several things. It’s useful from a purely educational perspective. How often can one do the mitzvah of tying tzitzit?  It’s a nice opportunity to learn a new skill. I have also found that when clients have time to interact with the tallit and spend not just their money, but also their time, and their efforts they  really fall in love with their tallit as they tie the tzitzit on each corner.

I find that the process of tying the tallit also ends up transferring ownership of the tallit from me to my client. By the time the fourth one is tied the tallit is no longer mine.SAM_2932

Mike was at first a little concerned about doing a good job. But he caught on fairly quickly.

Mike loved that the wool fibers tend to grip one another. That means that the tallit can stay on his shoulders without much fuss.

SAM_2931

 

Each time my husband saw this tallit he would ask if I would be adding stripes. Mike was so very clear about NOT wanting stripes. This tallit, more than I think any other tallit I have made is all about the tzitzit. Mike’s vision  for his tallit was so pure. I’m glad that I could help make it happen.

SAM_2926

 

Working with Mike was such a pleasure.

SAM_2925

We sit near Mike in synagogue during the High holidays. I love that it will be right within my sightlines  throughout the holiday season.

Another video to prepare for the season.

Comments

  1. beautful sarah as always,jane in engand with the kitties xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.