Food Friday–Only a Vague Idea Edition

There are weeks when I start my Friday cooking knowing exactly where I want to end up.  This was not one of those weeks.

I have to work quickly today because Shabbat starts so early today  it may have well started yesterday. It’s the earliest Shabbat of the year, beginning at 4:11 here in New York.
I thought that I might make a cranberry chicken. But when I opened the fridge I saw half a head of cabbage. So instead I made a vaguely Eastern European chicken with the cabbage, chopped apples and just a hand full of the cranberries because the baking pan was so full. I know I added spices but at the moment I could not swear to exactly what I added. I do have a vague recollection of smoked paprika and black pepper but there were several other spices that I tossed in as well.
SAM_3518
All of the cooking tasks need to neatly be layered or it won’t be done in time for candle lighting. so then I put up the challah dough.

My original [plan was to make kasha. But I noticed that I had little bits of various grains in my pantry. I also have some containers of chicken juice topped by fat in my fridge. So I melted some chicken fat in a big pot and then added rice, wheat berries, bulgher wheat and quinoa  to the hot fat and toasted the grains in the fat while I boiled a pot of water. SAM_3513

After the water boiled I added it to the pot of grains amid lots of dramatic hissing and heaving on the part of the grains.  I added the chicken juice and some dried parsley and spices and covered the pot and went away to take care of some other things.
SAM_3516
I may cut up some dates and add them to the pilaf before I serve.

We have a guest coming so that calls for dessert.
I made a pumpkin “custard” that is I cooked canned pumpkin with sugar, the sorts of spices one adds to pumpkin  ( cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and black pepper), a tablespoon of corn starch , a cut of sugar, a pinch of salt some water and cooked until the mixture began to boil.


I added some chestnuts and some raisins to the pumpkin because the mixture seemed very 17th century New England to me. The pumpkin mixture is now churning away   in the ice cream maker.

The challah now smells like it is almost ready to pull out of the oven.

I got only a few of my non cooking related tasks done today.

Shabbat Shalom to all.

Comments