Creating Light

I have been working away on Jack's tallit, or more specifically, on the neckband.

The verse comes from Psalm 104 ( God is covered with light--like a garment) and the text is often recited as we put on our tallitot.  Yes, I have used this verse often in my tallit making.

My goal in making this atara is to have the meaning accessible even to those who can't read Hebrew.So I want the word for light to exude light and the atara itself to emit a sort f a glow.

The best way to do this is to build up the various elements of light layer by layer. I painted the text using paints to which I have added additional reflective elements. I then outlined the word with hand chain stitching with a bright gold metallic thread.

I threaded my needle with a red and a gold thread and embroidered small stitched rays of lightshooting out from the word for light.
This is what it looks like from the wrong side of the piece.
 Here it is resting on the tallit.

There is still work to do...but this piece is well on it's way.

Comments

  1. Sarah, this is lovely!! I hope to see some of your work when I get back to NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing you again...You were so kind to come last year during my mother's shiva.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.